Monday, May 10, 2010

3 Weeks In

It's been 3 weeks since Grayson made his debut and I am finally getting around to posting an update. Oh well!

Labor & Delivery: For those of you who haven't heard the story... Yes, I was is labor for 17 hours. This was due mainly to the fact that Grayson had "cord compression" which meant that any intense contractions caused his heartbeat to drop alarmingly. One thing we discovered was that the compression/dropping was less significant when I was positioned on my right hand side, so there I stayed for most of the time - many, many hours! Because of this compression, we weren't able to be very agressive with labor inducing drugs and had to keep backing down to keep Gray Boy safe. So, we took things slow, I laid on my right side, and we prayed for our sweet little boy to make it safely into the world, which he did at 12:47 a.m. the following morning, Tuesday, April 20, 2010. I was such a worried mess during the whole ordeal and was beyond relieved and thankful that the NICU team that was on hand in the room was not needed and that Gray was happy and healthy upon entry into this world.

Home from the Hospital: I can't even begin to describe how scared I was to bring Grayson home from the hospital. I doubt I slept more than a couple of hours the first night we brought him home; I found it necessary to check on him in his crib every hour (or less) to make sure he was sleeping safe and sound. As the nights went on, I began getting adventurous and started sleeping with the light off! :) Thankfully, my mom and Ben's mom were able to stay with us the first nearly two weeks to help soothe my nerves and help with the long night duties. Besides the amazing help around the house and child-raising experience the moms provided, Ben and I were blessed with the amazing gift of meals from friends. I cannot even begin to describe what a blessing this has been the last 3 weeks! We have had more than enough food that we haven't had to cook once since Gray was born, which has been essential since we haven't had a minute to spare.

The Here & The Now: Things are getting more and more normal as the days go on. Ben, Gray, and I've gotten used to our new lives together and are becoming adjusted to life without routine. (But we can't wait for Gray to be old enough to start introducing one!)According to Gray's and my follow up appointments over the past week, we are both doing fabulously! Gray's gaining weight and I am growing somewhat less sleep deprived and stronger as the days go on.

Thank You's: While we are moving forward, I am still behind in many areas, one being expressing my sincerest thanks for the unimaginable love and support we've received! Thank you to all of our friends and family for the prayers, gifts, meals, visits, and general support and love. We have been blessed beyond belief and want you all to know your efforts have not gone unnoticed. THANK YOU! We love you all!

More to come!!!